Monday, February 1, 2010

Moving on, settling in: A solid second week.

Monday (of the second week): back to BSC Bikes for more tubes and a proper floor pump. I’m tired of trashing $40 worth of tubes in a week.

I have been making friends with the BSC guys since my second day in Melbourne. They have hooked me up with all my bike needs because these are just good blokes. This visit I was added to their system as a special discounted person. Oh, sweet bike lovin.’ For my appreciation and theirs, Kat and her sister, Jennifer, baked up some sugary goods for the guys. Which, were very warmly received indeed. Thank you, ladies!
Tuesday: Because of the high temps, got up at 4:30am and headed straight to the famous Beach Road. No GoogleMaps, no heart flutters, the body felt good, and I just pounded out two solid hours of Tempo. This was my first solid day of training. I returned home mentally refreshed and with a new sense of dedication. Feeling good until…the next day. Wednesday: when I broke my derailleur cable in Upper Ferntree Gully (Translation; #1: No kidding, that’s the name of the town, #2: That means I am stuck in the hardest gear). Luckily, there was a bike shop close by that had a cable which would get me through my 5 hour ride and over to BSC for a proper fix. The end of the week begins to get better on Friday: at a gas station in Warrandyte, the owner stopped to talk with me about cycling, bikes, and how his son was getting into racing. By the end of our conversation, he told me, whenever I am in the area, to bring extra bottles to put in the fridge so I can have cold ones when I stop to refill. Whoa! I’m feeling the love for cycling. Add, spectating at the Jayco Bay Criteriums to a weekend with, thankfully uneventful, quality hours and early mornings. Life is beginning to flow again...

No comments:

Post a Comment