Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mild, few isolated showers possible, clearing in the afternoon --Never trust the weatherman.

First, I got out for a 4.5 hr ride on a beautiful Saturday (6 March).  I started by being a little deliciously naughty and eating two steak and egg (always over-easy) English muffins and a mug full of coffee.  My body felt great as I arrived to the 1:20 road in the Dandys.  I was enjoying the sunshine as I climbed up and around the Dandenong range.  It was just after I descended and readied myself for the journey home with provisions from the nearest gas station that the story goes awry....
An ominous looking black wall was heading in my direction.  The temperature was dropping and the wall moving in fast.  Good thing I know that Australian weather (usually) does not include tornadoes or the like, so I was merely expecting to get battered by some blustery winds and  biting rain.  I forged on and prepared myself for the imminent by zipping up my jersey and donning arm warmers.  Shortly after, I am notified via mobile of a hail storm that took the city by...storm, and was advised to seek shelter.  I was off towards any resemblance of cover but literally no more than a minute had passed when I heard an eerie sound atop the large industrial metal buildings nearby and the golf ball-sized hail began to fall, almost instantly followed by baseball-sized hail.  A guy honked his horn behind me as I was sprinting, full on, in the middle of the road.  First, I am thinking, what the hell dude, and then, I realized, I was being saved.  He nearly took me out as he cut in front of me, popped the boot to the yute and told me to jump in.  Way ahead of you, buddy, because I was already jamming on the breaks, unclipping, and about to toss my bike in whatever vehicle was beside me.  We were so fast.  Everything was happening so fast.  It was crazy.  Bike in the back and I jumped in, whew!  We quickly found a tree to duck under as it was coming down harder and now the hail was the size of grapefruits!  I thought the windows were going to get broken out. We (me and my two new best friends--who were one-week newlyweds), sat for some time, chatted, and checked in with loved ones.  The storm began to lessen, but the hail was still present as well as some hard rain and serious winds.  So, in addition to saving my toockus, they gave me a ride home.  I was, and am ever, grateful that they were glad to have helped me out.  Jokingly, they said they couldn't have passed me by and then heard later on the news that a cyclist riding on Ferntree Gully Road is now missing. haha.  I escaped with a few welts on my arm, a bruised finger, and full of thanks for good Samaritans.

2 comments:

  1. BENJAMIN!! You know i loved that story dude!! Ha ha! Mother nature made you eat a bit of humble pie huh?? Everyone who ever gets scared of mother nature always comments on "how fast" it happens. Now just imagine if someone actually had the power to localize that energy!! And i think you know who ahm talm bout?? lol. see ya bud...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I knew you would enjoy this story. Click on the header picture and take a look at the grapefruit size white blobs in the parking lot. Yeah, this "storm" was not playing around.

    ReplyDelete