Friday, April 23, 2010

The Racing Season is now Full On!

Keeping things to the point as there is much to do with training and racing.  Rest week is next week and that is for updating the blog.

In brief, since my return, I have been to Florida to race and unwind with friends, visited with family, made rounds with friends, completed my taxes, got a new bike, got new wheels, and have been putting in some strong training hours in Dahlonega.  Most importantly, the racing season has begun and it is full on and will be for about the next 7 weekends!



Last weekend, 17 April, was my first time back in a criterium.  Sunny King Criterium in Anniston, AL.  This is a National Racing Calendar event and a good crit. to race.  I decided to race the cat.2/3 field to get comfortable racing again, improve focus/attentiveness, stay safe, gauge fitness (ie, what I need to improve), as well as a proper power workout in my training plan.  I stayed calm, steady and attentive but had a terrible starting position (the very back).  A decisive three man break went and survived over the last 10 laps and I came in 8th after narrowly avoiding being taken down in the final lap.  All in all it was a good day.

Looking ahead...Speed Week.
This Saturday in Athens marks the beginning of Speed Week.  Seven days of criteriums going from Georgia to South Carolina to North Carolina and finishing up in Sandy Springs, GA.  I am calling it Speed Week-ends because I am only racing in Georgia (which happen to be on the weekends).  This "Speed Week" is over a rest week of mine and do not believe I will gain anything by extending myself with the travel and racing as so many weeks of racing are coming back-to-back.

On the Grind (think gears):
Saturday, 24 April: Athens, GA for Athens Twilight.  This time, I will be lining up for the Big Show.
Sunday, 25th:  Roswell, GA. Historic Roswell Criterium.

In the work-stand (next weekend):
Sat, May 1: Macon Criterium (not part of Speed Week)
Sun, May 2: Sandy Springs
(Mon, May 3: My Birthday!!)

More racing and more blog.
Race updates to follow as well as a race calendar and more about what has been going on since returning from Melbourne.  Until then, I will be keeping the Hammer Down!

1 comment: