Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Trials and Tribulations -The first week.

Arriving with gusto and feeling so suave with my good fortunes, I was in for a tough first week. As many know, the bike didn’t fly over on my plane and I was in sheer terror as I walked away from the baggage counter only having left my hopes, my dreams, and contact info.

I was only envisioning my poor bike being sent to some obscure US city as unclaimed baggage. All was probably for the best, the bike was delivered to the door the next day, and I didn’t have to carry it and my luggage through public transit. Once in my hands, a quick look inside confirmed untainted beauty within. All is well and good in the World again. Life, as I know it, will not be coming to an end.
The rest of week was complete and utterly dreadful and so terrible I feel the need to share (omitting the household tragedies like the washing machine and the food processor completely crapping out).
Mon (28 Dec ’09): Easy ride. Realized the issue I have been having with my large chain ring is from bent teeth. Not cheap but a must fix with, unfortunately, Force (instead of Red) which was immediately available and affordable.
Tues: Get great help from BSC bike shop. New chain ring (Force), adjusted headset and discounted lube (ProLube baby). Free labour. Not a bad day but I was getting heart flutters on the ride because my body has not adjusted.
Wed: A terrible morning, flat tyre and issues with my PowerTap wheel --I was thinking major malfunction and complete catastrophe. Quick reference to the manual, ie: called Mike Stigers, and everything was ok. Bright side of the day: at a red light on my way out of town, I was applauded for my track stand. Never before has this happened. I was asked to do it again at the next light instead of insistence to get off the road! After 70F weather the first few days, it got up to 97F on this day. I got cooked! Heat exhaustion and more heart flutters.
Thurs: No ride. Needed to recover.
Fri: Flat back tyre, broke valve stem on front tyre because of pocket pump.
Sat: Ride over to BSC to buy 3 tyres. Get a flat in the bike shop, down to two tyres. Get another flat out my ride and guess what!? I forgot the pocket pump at home. One tyre left and I had to take the train towards home. Only, part of the train line was being serviced and everyone had to get off the train and onto a bus and carted to the next station. Except, ‘bikes aren’t allowed on the bus,’ says the bus driver, and I am not allowed on. “How am I supposed to get home,” I ask. Talk to the guy in yellow, they are public transit representatives. Hmm, I’m thinking, I know this scenario. Anyone else recognize it? ‘Yellow vest’ guy tells me, it’s up to the bus driver if he will allow me on the bus. Nice, there it is, thanks for the pass of responsibility, too bad I was only paying good money to rely on public transit to leave me 30km out of town and no way to get back. In the end, everything turned out fine when a nice couple passed by on their bikes and had a pump for me to use.
Sun: Cold-er, 55-67F, and 20mph head winds. Tough ride but, finally, I got out of the city and onto some real roads. Besides being under-dressed and cold I enjoyed my ride and let go of some stress.

Not the best first week and not exactly thrilled to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment