Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Way Back to Atlanta: An extra week in Clermont and the Swamp Classic.

Post race Sunday before heading home
Well, I just could not bear coming back to Georgia with another cold front hitting the East Coast after all the beautiful weather I had been training in.  I am very fortunate to have been able to stay in Clermont, FL another week on my way back --another week of fantastic weather as well!  My extra week allowed me to catch the Swamp Classic in Gainesville, FL en route to Decatur.



The Saturday circuit was a good race but the racing was not full-on and tactically different because the race was Cat. 1,2,3.  I placed 14th but I learned a few things watching veteran riders.

Sunday's race (Super Bowl Sunday) was only Cat. 1,2 and the race was entirely different.  It was full-gas from the gun.  We were single-file most of the race.  I was really aggressive and worked hard to try and get away but no dice.  I was gassed by the finish for all my efforts.  It was a good race and I set a new, recorded, average power over a one hour period as well.

I headed back to Atlanta motivated, restored and in good spirits from my time away in good weather, and some racing and training that is building good fitness this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment